Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Engine is Starting to Look Like a Real Engine

04-24-2012

The intake came in today. I found a GMPP single plane intake. I didn't notice it at the time but someone welded permanent tabs on it to mount the fuel rails. I'm not sure why they did this, but I suppose it'll be fine.


And here is why they call them cathedral port intakes.


The old one next to the new one. The GMPP intake sits much lower than the original.


I also went ahead and took the coil packs off the valve covers. I'm going to relocate them somewhere.


Chassis Engineering sent me a note quite a while ago saying they found out a supplier had started using Chinese metal in their shackles. The note said to not use these shackles and that they would be sending replacements. As instructed, I threw the old ones out. I didn't want to throw them in the pile and accidentally forget and try to reuse the metal in a future project that might be load bearing and then end up possibly hurt. The new ones came in a week or so ago so I finally stuck them on and chucked the old ones.


After receiving it I didn't like how the fuel pump assembly fit into the gas tank at all. I'm going to send the old tank back. I'm going to have a local guy I met cut some aluminum to my specifications and then have another guy I've met weld them together. The end result will be, hopefully, a custom fuel tank that will suit my needs and also have a larger capacity than the small 14 gallons of the old tank.




That means before any of that can happen I have to take this carboard


And build a box that will fit into this hole. The sway bar was interfering with the old gas tank so I'm going to build 4 inch boxes cut into the front corners of this one to allow the sway bar to mount to the frame as it should. I'm going to extend it down to add some capacity and keep the top the same dome shape so it will still maintain the original style straps up there.


I got the bottom measured and cut. Now I'll have to get the sides made and get it all taped together.