Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Harness the Power Within

02-18-2012 03:59 AM

Today I took it easy due to my pulled chest muscle. I knew eventually I would need to make a new harness for my '57 overdrive, and since I can't get it working I figured I might as well go ahead and make 100% that it's not a shorted wire problem.

I started out by measuring each wire and writing it down, then getting an appropriate color coded wire, or as close as I could get, and cutting to match. Purple or pink, it's all the same to a guy.



Then I had to take apart the kickdown clip and re-solder each wire back to the special adapter which allows the kickdown switch to fit it. I went ahead and cleaned each one up with steel wool while I was at it.







April came in right as I was finishing up so she modeled my finished product




While I'm on the subject of the '57, I took a picture of the original rear dealer plate which is still on the car. After owning this car for 7 years now, I just today realized that the plate says L.R. Cooke instead of L.A. Cooke.



When we bought the '37, I was interested to see that the license plate frame looked like this



I was very curious to know if Cooke Pontiac and L.R. Cooke Chevrolet were connected, especially since both the cars both were bought new within a somewhat close area. With the spelling now correct for L.R. Cooke I was able to find this original Photo of Cooke Chevrolet in the Kentuckiana archives



I also found a picture of L.R. Cooke from the 1936, but it was in a different building. It turns out Cooke Pontiac was in Louisville and of course L.R. Cooke was in Lexington. Now I'm just going to try to find out if these two establishments were connected in any way.