Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I'm a Real Glassy Guy

03-08-2012

Today all the glass had to come out, as well as a few remaining other pieces.

The center divider of the two piece windshield had four screws. Two of them were completely stripped out and I had to drill them out. I've never taken any type of glass out so it was a quick learning curve. All the rubber on the outside was hard as a rock and made the job extra difficult.


As you can see, the first one wasn't a great success, but it's better than shattered everywhere I guess.


The windows had some pretty neat stickers. The oldest one was from 1952.




After I was able to get the first glass out and understand exactly how the rubber held the glass in I was able to make better cuts for the 2nd glass and got it out without breaking it


Then came the rear vent windows


The trunk uses a one arm hinge that automatically locks straight when you open the trunk. To close the trunk you have to lift up on it and then it closes. As I was removing the trunk the arm locked straight and caused me to loose my grip and accidentally tip the trunk sideways, breaking one of the hinges. I was going to have to replace them anyway because of pitting but I still don't like breaking things when I don't have to.



To get the glass out I had to make a cut straight into the rubber running right alone the outside of the glass


Then I had to cut right between the rubber and glass as deep as possible


After running over those lines several times it would leave you something like the upper left part of this window and after some peeling and trimming you would get the bottom of the window


After that I had to go back between the glass and rubber to get a deeper cut that I would later meet with another cut from the inside. This back window was really great to work with. After I got the hard rubber removed from the outside the inside was very easy to cut and almost half of it just simply pulled out all at once after I made my cuts.


Fortunately I thought ahead for once and laid down some paper to collect all the glass after I saw it was going to break. Since I had to throw this glass away I later laid more paper on top to break the glass and get it into smaller pieces.


I love the old window shades on the back windows of these cars. This one is still in one piece.


Then I had to scrape some really really nasty stuff from the floor of the trunk. It seemed like a glue type substance that maybe had been used to secure a trunk mat at one time.


Then more insulation that was under the back seat. As I mentioned earlier, this car had tons of insulation.


And finally it was time to move on to getting the insulation off the roof. I'm not sure what kind of glue they used on this stuff but it literally looks like tar and it's pretty difficult to get off.


The taillights came off and some other miscellaneous things like bumper grommets and things like that. I've still got the roof left to scrape and then it will be time to remove the body from the frame.