Tuesday, July 24, 2012

'57's Overdrive is Working

02-22-2012

Well, after this weekend of hauling off parts I was finally able to clear up a little room in the garage so I can actually get to the passenger side of the car and the parts I need. I also went out and got some cardboard so when I mount the rear end I can use cardboard cut outs of the diameter of the tire to make sure I get the rear centered in the fenders. After that I can take the fenders off and finish taking the body down.

Finally, the garage, once again, semi-organized.



I had to go back and take the ends off the transmission section of the harness because I forgot to put the heat shields back on the wires.



Then it was time to rewire everything back in the car and wrap it with black tape



I decided to reroute some of the wiring to give it a cleaner and more out of the way look which meant I had to add about a foot to the bottom transmission part of the harness.



Then I moved on to fixing the throttle tab I made a while back. It was a bit too big and hitting the manifold so I shortened it






After I finally got it all wired up I seriously prayed that this would work. This was my final step and if this hadn't worked I would have been completely out of steps to take from this point. My prayers were answered and it began to work. I took it out on our bypass to test it out and it makes all the difference in the world. I kicked it down out of overdrive and couldn't believe I used to have to drive on the highway at those RPMs. I have an issue with the throttle sticking a little bit so I'll look at that tomorrow and try to finish up as much as possible on the air cleaner.

Then I moved on to finally making an air cleaner like the first one I made, but this one will actually work on my car. It felt wrong to cut into this thing.