Monday, July 23, 2012

Finally Finished the '57 and got it out of the Garage

02-09-2012

Well, it finally happened. I got the '57 done. Well, I got it done enough to get out of the garage. Yesterday I finished fabbing up the tab I had to weld onto the throttle rod. After that Jacob and I went over and took my '31 Chevy to my father's to swap out with April's '37. I'll still be able to drive the '31 on Sundays or things like that, but unfortunately the hopping in it to drive to town days are going to be gone for a while.

I used cardboard to cut out a basic shape of what I needed and traced it onto some steel I'd gotten at the local wrecking yard.


After that I cut out a piece I would use for the sides.


This is only my second welding project ever, and it may not be great but I have to say it was a LOT easier than working with the 24 gauge steel that I had to use on the air cleaner for the '57.


Continuing to get it into shape.


And connecting the spot welds


And this is near the final product. I still had some more trimming to do.



I have it finished, but not painted. I'll put up the finished pictures after I get it painted. I spent all of today getting the '37 in my garage and began tearing it down.