Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Clam

April's Caprice has started leaking oil, transmission and radiator fluid.  We decided to get her another car in the meantime until the '37 is finished.  She has always loved station wagons and I've always though the idea of a 9 passenger wagon is pretty neat, and handy.  You can lay and entire piece of plywood down flat in the back when you fold the seats down.  That's more than my full size Blazer.  So, we found this car on Criagslist.com in Birmingham, Alabama.  My friend of many years and my old college roommates lives in Birmingham and we have intended to go down and visit them for a long time now so we decided to take a trip down with a trailer and spend the 4th of July there and if we happened to come home with a car, then that would be OK, too.

We came home with this: A 1971 Pontiac Grand Safari.  It was so hot while I was loading this car that I was having trouble hooking the straps down because the so much sweat was running into my eyes that they were burning and I couldn't see.






It's a stock 455, 4 barrel.  It was the top of the line wagon and has almost every option you could get.  It needs the 455 rebuilt so I've pulled the engine and my friend's father is going to help me rebuild it.  He knows Pontiac engines like frogs know jumping, so he's going to show me the ropes to make sure I do everything correct.

I now have to split my time between this car and the '37, but I hope to get this done as quickly as possible so I can get it on the road and April can have something to drive.  It has newer Micheline tires on it and the body is very solid.  The only issues are a couple of spots around the windows, which I've been told are pretty easy to take out, fix and put back.

I wrote the following writeup the day I removed the engine so I will include it here:

I got the engine out today. It rained for half the day and then the power went out so I thought today was going to be a bust but after lunch the power came back on the and skies turned blue. It was horribly hot and humid but according to the forecast this could be the last dry day we have for a while.

Since it was raining last night April helped me take the hood off today before she left to go into town. We've nicknamed the car The Clamshell, or The Clam.


The hood looked massive sitting in the garage.


The storm came shortly after the hood came off so this is how The Clam had to ride the storm out. The string had broken so I had to make due with what I had.


After getting the rest of the wires and bolts photographed and unbolted or unplugged it was time for the engine hoist. The A-arms sat so low I had to jack the car up to slide the engine lift under the car. I had kitty litter embedded in my head from scooting around under the car.




I didn't really have any major problems getting the engine out. It was difficult, but not more so than any other typical engine pull. The only problems I had wre one hidden bell housing bolt that I first thought had been left out by a previous mechanic. I couldn't get the engine and trans apart and after a lot of searching finally found the head to the hidden bolt. The only other problem was one exhaust flange bolt broke off; All the others were easy. If only 1 out of 4 exhaust bolts give trouble, I call that a success. April came out and lended some picture taking assistance. Typically, she would have been out helping but she's throwing a party for a bunch of ladies tomorrow so she was busy cleaning the house all day.







The massive 455 in all its glory. I knew it was heavy but I was still surprised at just how much the front of the car sat up after it was out.





Here's a picture underneath the car. I'm really surprised at how solid the underside of this car is.


And there she was. It was no small chore getting it back into the garage to await a good degreasing. Woodson gave me this engine lift. It has come in infinitely helpful. He used it once when restoring his '56 Chevy. He loaned it to a friend who bent the wheels, so it won't roll straight, but I don't care, if I didn't have this thing I would be dead in the water.  I've used it many, many times so far just in the short time I've had it. One good thing about laying in all that antifreeze was it really did cool a person down.



The guy that is going to help me rebuild the 455 said he should be ready by next weekend. I'm going to degrease the engine and hopefully if time and weather permit get started on detailing the engine compartment and maybe fixing a few things around on the car.