Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Finish Lines

04-16-2012 

I had some parts still laying up in front of the car from where the replacement sway bar had come in after I was sent the wrong one so I went ahead and mounted it to make a little room to work. The sway bar mounts that bolt to the lower control arm contacted the front springs so I had to modify them to give some clearance.


I also had to elongate the holes in the frame sway bar mounts. The bar was too far back and was in a bind causing the bushings to distort. I'm not sure why this happened because all of the holes in the frame are exactly where the instructions said to drill them.




I kept the old brackets for the front brake lines. The ones that came with the kit had no L-bend in them and would have required welding. All I had to do was drill out the hole a bit to mount it to the frame. Also, because the sway bar is made to mount to the core support brace the sway bar kit came with some redundant bolts, which I used to mount the brake line brackets.


I was really fortunate that there was already a hole in the perfect location on the frame from where the old crossmember had been riveted in. I was really glad about this because I am absolutely sick and tired of drilling holes in the frame.
[IMG]

Here's where the line for the right front caliper will need to be run.


After a million trips back and forth measuring and bending and rebending I ended up with this.


And here it is mounted up.


The steel braided brake lines (and sway bar) came free with the hub to hub front suspension kit.


Even though I could have actually reached the back of the bolts to put a nut on for the crossmember portion of the line brackets I went ahead and used the same self tapping bolts I'm having to use for the rest of the frame mounts.


Here's a few shots after getting the shorter, driver side line bent and run.




I have a couple more mounts to put in here near the master cylinder but I'm going to have to remove the whole assembly to be able to drill the holes so I'll be doing that a bit later. You can see the front 2lb residual valve here. These are used when you mount the master cylinder lower than the brake calipers. It keeps the fluid from running back into the master cylinder.