Monday, July 23, 2012

Building a 1937 Chevrolet four door

01-22-2012

I'm about to embark on the task of building a family car for my wife. It's a 1937 4 door. We got the car from a great family in Kentucky. The lady's father had owned the car since the 50s, and he had bought it from an older lady that was the original owner. She had sold the car to him when her garage began to fall down and she felt she needed to get rid of the car inside.
My wife, April, and I purchased the car with the insurance money we got from when she had totaled her previous car. She rolled it, but fortunately the Lord was looking out for her and she was not hurt. She said she had always loved the cars from the 30s and 40s and after walking through many car shows she decided she liked the looks of the 37 Chevrolet the best. This was a great thing for me, because I had almost bought a '37 once myself. She wanted a 4 door to have as a family car. It's our intention to make the car as safe and reliable as possible while still maintaining as much of the original look and feel of the car as possible. I have never built a car like this before. Most of what I have worked on are stock, original cars, so this will be a learning experience for me.

Here are some pictures of the day we bought the car.

Here's April with her new purchase


Here we are loading the car up




Here we are with the previous owners



Here's some pictures of the car where in the garage it had sat in for years









If you look close you can see the original cigar lighter. It's near the steering wheel with the red light near it.


Gotta get the ramps just right