Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Read Between the Brakelines

04-16-2012

This weekend before running the brake lines we worked some more on April's garden.


Then it was time to start running some brake lines. I went and rented this kit from Carquest. They just started renting tools which works out because I hate AutoZone and Advanced Auto.


Since I'd never flared a brake line before it was time to go to the Googlebox and get on the intrawebs to find some youtube videos and learn how. Here's an extra computer Nick had that he gave me and I use it in the garage when I need to look up how something works or for when I'm reassembling parts I can load the pictures on this computer and then use them for reference. It also helps to get some bluegrass music in the garage since there are no radio stations here that play it. Without this computer in the garage I would have to wash my hands, take my shoes off and roll my greasy pants up every single time I wanted to come in and check something in a picture, which gets very time consuming.


I have a plan to build an encasement for this computer and make it look like an antique television, but with all the projects I have on going right now that one is further down on the list.


So I got to cutting some line with my super expensive line cutter (cheapest one ever). I don't mean to show off all my super expensive equipment, but sometimes you just can't help it.


Then clean it out with my super expensive pocket knife. I was getting my rear window replaced one time and decided to just walk the few miles back home because it was nice that day and found this thing on the side of the road so I use it to do the things I don't want to use a good knife for.


This tool that I rented from Carquest wound up breaking and so I had to go to AutoZone after all to rent another one.


I taped the junction to the frame to have a starting point and went from there.


After getting the line shaped correctly it looked something like this:


Then I had to drill the holes for the line clamps, but unfortunately the drill wouldn't fit straight for any of them. This is the easiest one I had.


Here's the front after getting it mounted


And here it is finally running down the frame rail. I had to keep it as close to the frame as possible because the steering shaft, exhaust manifold and power steering pump hoses are all going to be crammed in there together. This looks very simple but it actually took a long time to get all these bends exactly right.


Dad stopped by to check out the progress. That's about as American as a picture can get.