Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Making Some Fuel Line Supports

06-19-2012

It's been quite a while since I posted any updates so I'll have to go back and see if I can remember what was going on by looking at the pictures.

April was on summer break so she helped me run the remaining fuel lines. We had to make some support tabs for the fuel line brackets to mount to so April made part of them. We started with some of the left over angle iron pieces from the cattle trailer project.



All we had were scraps left over so April cut them up and put a 45 degree angle in them so I could weld them together.


After I welded the pieces together April shaped them up then I welded them onto the frame. I wasn't very happy with the welds. I couldn't get a consistent ground to the frame for some reason, but they'll do more than fine to hold these tabs.


While I was working on mounting the parking brake April measured, marked and drilled the holes for the brackets. That task was actually much more difficult than it sounds.



When I finally got the parking brake bracket where I wanted it I drilled the hole for it in the frame. I then found that mice had not only been in the headliner and the trunk, but also all the way up in the frame and had decided to remodel the insulation in the car. There was so much in there that before I could drill the back side of the hole I would have to stick my drill half way in, turn the bit, and start pulling out more and more insulation. It felt like it would never stop coming out.


Here's our handy work, before the holes were drilled. These look pretty simple but going from angle iron to lengthened, drilled, welded mounts took about half a day just for the three mounts we had to make.


And after the line brackets were installed


The parking brake bracket had the be mounted first because as you can see the fuel lines had to run side by side on top of it to clear the body. This was our 3rd and final bracket.



As you can see these lines had to swap positions a few times along their path, switching between side by side and stacked positions. It made the bends somewhat of a challenge, but I think the end result turned out decent.






I also ran the hard line from the front of the filter/regulator up to the point where it will connect with the flex line, which will run from the frame to the fuel rails on the engine.