Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Dag Blasted; Clam

It was my hopes that I could get the entire roof done today.  It was close, but didn't quite happen.  As usual, I forgot the camera at my house and didn't get it until I stopped back by at lunch to pick up some other items.  By this time I had already used the DA sander to go over the roof.  There were a few spots that needed special attention.  Nothing serious, but a few spots that needed to be sanded down to bare metal and then sand blasted just to make absolutely sure nothing could try to come back through the paint.

There was the area that I have posted a picture of before over the windshield that had quite a bit of surface rust and I wanted to sandblast as much of that as I could before I remove the windshield to help keep as much sand as possible from possible getting inside the car.  To my surprise the surface rust didn't really extend down into the channel of the windshield seal.  Apparently all the silicone that the previous owners had put into the channel had just kept the water from draining and caused it to begin to rust above the windshield.  I had fully expected the rust to have begun in the channel and worked its way north, but that, fortunately, didn't seem to be the case.  I had even prepared to need to do extensive metal work in this area to get it back to just the way it needed to be.  Hopefully, that won't be necessary at all now.

I put duct tape around the areas of the car that I didn't want the sand to effect, such as the windshield and the chrome around the windows that I haven't been able to get off.  

This is how far I got before the compressor threw the breaker up at my dad's house.  Apparently the compressor is too much load for the barn.  After a few trips back up to the house and trying to turn everything else off at the barn I realized, to great frustration, that this plan wasn't going to work.

At the small gate entrance to the field there is an outlet that my dad used to use to plug in his motorhome.  I have used this outlet with the compressor and know it will work so I ended up using the four wheeler to pull the car back up to that outlet.  I went and got my mother and had her steer the car as I pulled it back up the hill.  Fortunately the four wheeler is pretty powerful and four wheel drive.  At one point all four wheels began to spin, but it still managed to get the car where it needed to be.

So mother wouldn't have to walk through all the cow manure and because she doesn't get around as well as she used to due to back surgeries I brought her down into the field on the four wheeler.  I'm not sure when the last time she was on a four wheeler but I know it has been years upon years.  She also came down and steered the car as I towed it back down to the barn.  When she was getting ready to get back on the four wheeler to go back to the house she fell over the root of a weed.  After I realized she was OK we had a pretty good laugh about it.  She rolled out into the grass and just missed a nice cow pile.  Despite her threats, I took her picture to mark the momentous occasion.

It doesn't show up great in the pictures but here is the end result.  All the spots on the roof sanded and blasted down to metal and the area around the windshield and tops of the doors sanded down.  A skim coat of filler will smooth out any pitting nicely.  I'll need to go back over the entire roof by hand with 180 grit because I wasn't able to get to that far today.