Monday, October 29, 2012

Fender Clams

I worked the entire day on the front two fenders and visually, don't have a lot to show for it, but as anyone that has done bodywork can explain, that's how it goes.  I had to smooth out the area where I put in the patch panel and then I had a very small area to do on the other fender where there was some minor pitting.  I took a picture of the patch panel fender after I applied the first coat of bondo but the sun was so bright it was practically invisible in the picture.  Here's the picture I took of the other fender which had much less work to be done and took a fraction of the time.


After a day spent sanding and a second coat of filler on the patch panel fender, I finally finished.  Before I got sick a couple weeks ago I had almost finished sanding down one entire fender with 180 to prep it for primer but I went back over both fenders with 180 completely just to be safe, which took quite a bit of time.  It was also hard because the wind was blowing very, very hard thanks to hurricane Sandy hitting the east coast today and even when I would sit heavy metal scissors and a full roll of tape on top of the sand paper it would blow away.

Here's the back of the patch panel.

And here's the finished product.  It's not going to turn out show-car condition.  There were a couple of very small high spots that would have required a hammer and dolly to take care of, but this will be fine for a good looking driver.

Here's my make-shift body shop out in my parents' yard.  Since the car is in my dad's barn I've been working on most everything over there.  Notice the small compressor in front of the boat I use for sand blasting small spots that sand paper can't get to.

Even when doing a little body work like this you can expect to use quite a bit of sand paper.  I also found out that sand paper has become quite expensive.

I've been keeping the fenders under my dad's house, however it stays pretty cold under there and there is some concrete which causes condensation of the fenders which will cause flash rust on the bare metal.  I'm going to be taking the fenders to the paint shop tomorrow so they can be primered, that way they won't sit in bare metal waiting for the rest of the car which would cause them to rust.  Bare metal will rust immediately if left outside and if not in a climate controlled environment will even rust indoors in a short amount of time.  Because of this the fenders are spending the night in the foyer to my house where they'll stay nice and warm and rust-free.

Here's the finished product on the bodywork for both fenders.