Friday, February 15, 2013

Tailgreatness

It was time to get the tailgate on.  To prepare for that I had to lubricate the tracks for the rear window and the tailgate.  Both of these features are known to cause trouble if not kept lubricated, but especially the tailgate due to the fact that the force of the arm that raises the tailgate comes from one side rather than being equally distributed to both.  This can cause severe binding and even tearing of weak metal if not kept clean and greased.

I did both sides of the window track.

Then I did both sides of the tailgate tracks.  Surgical gloves are a lifesaver here.

After finding a prop the right height and making sure there was plenty of cushioning between it and the painted surface of the tailgate I began bolting the gate into place.  For some reason I had a temporary type of mental dyslexia and switched the passenger and driver side in my mind, causing me to put the bolts in the wrong side.  I used plenty of anti-seize on all the bolts I reapplied today.  I first started all the bolts in the tailgate and then took them back out one by one to apply the anti-seize because of the alignment of the gate as it was bolted on.

This is how a mere mortal tailgate would appear when open, but not a clamshell.  This is just the beginning.  You can see the shims sitting in the back that I finished yesterday.

After getting it bolted up I did a few very careful test slides to make sure there was no rubbing.

 After checking the alignment I propped it up so I could measure and trim the new rubber strips I installed yesterday.  I also had to have it propped up because the tailgate motor is what holds the tailgate in place and it had to be up when I installed the motor if I wanted the tailgate to stay closed.

While I was manually rolling the window down I noticed that one of the bolts to the track was loose.  This would have caused the window to sit too low and not make contact with the rubberstripping so I raised the track and bolting it back in place.

With the tailgate propped up as far as it would go I installed the tailgate motor, but didn't hook any wires up yet.

I was pleased with the alignment.  The gaps looked very good.  These tailgates can have a tendency to sag on the passenger side but this one doesn't appear to have any problems.

  The very first thing I did this day was glue the rubber back on the rear pan and let it dry.  The nosy cows had torn it off one day when I had sat it next to the barn and gone to lunch.  Fortunately they didn't tear or otherwise damage it, though it did get a good coating of cow snot.  After I finished with the tailgate and window I reinstalled the much-heavier-than-it-appears rear pan.

After installation.

I didn't put the rear bumper back on because I want to clean and polish it while it is off.  Also, I called the window company and they are going to be here early Monday to install the windows.  Today is Friday and I will be gone all weekend so that meant I had to finish polishing the rest of the window moldings.

Until Monday The Clam will have to ride the storm out under the tarp.