Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Cable TV

Today I made the mount for the TV cable.  Before reinstalling the carburetor I taped off a few places and repainted parts of the manifold that had become dirty due to the modifications I have been making.  After reinstalling the carburetor I got some preliminary ideas on where to begin by holding the pieces in place.  Then, I started cutting away at the mount I had ordered which was originally intended for some other type of car's application.

I was very fortunate here because up until this time I had thought that the mount would need to be completely cut apart and rewelded back together with various angles and measurements.  It first appeared that it would need to be a completely separate mount that would bolt to the manifold in two different places.  After getting the mount cut down to a size that allowed me to hold it closer to the area that it needed to be I was able to determine that it would fit onto the existing bracketry and work very well, giving me the geometry I needed to keep the TV cable in line with the mounting stud.

I first thought I might drill two holes and bolt the parts together but then I decided that tack welding it together would be the best route.  I put some ugly tack welds on the piece rather than a solid weld because I didn't want it to be completely permanent.  Also, since the new mount covered up the rear return spring hole, labeled "P" in the picture below, I drilled it out to allow the spring to be placed back in its original location.

After tack welding both sides and drilling the hole out I primer and painted the new mount.  I decided to go with a cast iron finish.

The cable is physically in place, but has not been adjusted yet, so there is no tension on the line.  By putting the "L" shape part of the TV bracket on the passenger side of the original mount it gave a placement that was close to perfect alignment with the TV stud on the carburetor arm.  I had some clearance issues with the bolt that holds the mount to the manifold.  It was necessary to remove the washer and lock washer to give clearance, so I used blue locktite on this bolt as a substitute.  I was glad that everything turned out nice and tidy and all of the original components were able to remain in their original locations. 

The left to right alignment is pretty good.  I'll be able to tell more about it when the line is adjusted and tight.  If it is not aligned just right I can bend the arm of the TV mount to give the cable a straight mode of travel.