Friday, March 7, 2014

Welding Some '31 Brackets

At long last I was able to get back to work on the '31, so I can get started on the Corvair, so when it gets warmer I can finish up what's left of The Clam, so I can get back to the '37.

The last progress was right before the welder quit working.  That problem turned out not to be the welder, but the breaker in the wall, despite the fact I tested the outlet, so that is still confusing to me.

After a lot of measuring, welding and grinding I ended up with this.

Here is the bracket mounted with the original top mount in place.

I went to Pull-A-Part to find any type of bracket that I could modify and make a top mount for the new alternator.  Unfortunately, Pull-A-Part has gotten rid of their antique section and I quickly began to realize that car manufacturers began to stop using this type of bracket as far back as the early 1980s.  There were only about four cars that could have had anything that would work and one of those cars had no engine and another had been with no hood for so long everything was too rusted.  The only remaining vehicle that had something I could use was a 1970 Cadillac 4 door hardtop.  The rolled edge made it a little harder to reshape but it will be worth it for the added strength and above that, it didn't matter because this was literally the only bracket in the whole yard, so that's what I used.

The bracket had a significant bend to it that I would have to get rid of...

so I began marking where I could cut it.

To find the correct alignment I tack welded the very bottom and mounted the bracket to the engine. Then I carefully bent it until it was where it needed to be.  Next, I unbolted it and welded it in that position.  The first tack weld broke as I was bending it into shape so I had to do this process twice.

Here I've bent the bracket as mentioned above until it lined up with piece mounted to the alternator.

Some more measurements and the bracket is ready to take off and weld together

Eventually, I ended up with this

After a few test fits and some more final grinding and modifications I repainted it