Thursday, March 14, 2013

Holes Can Be Bad

Today I changed the front pump seal on the transmission just as a precautionary measure.  When I got the old seal out this is what I found.  I'm honestly not sure if I caused this or if it was already there.  I'm trying to look into this and get an answer as to whether this will be detrimental to the transmission.  It appears to me this would simply cause the fluid to flow out, but it could be that the seal will keep things contained.  Either way, it would be better if it was not there and I'm a little scared this could be big, bad news.

I didn't have anything to slide over the shaft to hammer on the seal so I hammered it little by little, keeping each side as square as possible until it fully seated.  I called a mechanic down at the dealership and he said that he installs these dry, with no sealant on the outside diameter.  I did put a small amount of lithium grease on the inside rubber, though.

Today the booster and master cylinder that I ordered last week came in.  The computer at the parts house said that it was "coated" to prevent rust, but I have had these rust shortly after installation so I painted it cast iron.  By the time I finished the transmission seal the paint was dry so I mounted it back on the firewall.  The hardest part of putting it back on was getting the peg on the brake pedal inserted into the shaft on the booster.