Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Finished With the Fenders, and Very Heavy Doors

An arctic front moved in which dropped temperatures into the teens.  It has been extremely cold in the barn but I have really wanted to get through with this as soon as possible.  I have wrapped up in multiple layers but my hands have been exposed.  As long as I am moving and sanding they stay warm but if I stop they start getting numb.  Today the high was back into the 40s, which was good because April forgot to leave me the keys to The Caprice so I had to ride a bicycle over to my parents house, which is about a mile and a half.  It was still in the high 20s or low 30s at this point.  I called her after she got off work to get her to pick me up on her way home and asked her to look in her purse.  I then asked her if she saw any keys.  She looked, then hesitated a minute.  I could actually feel it sinking it.  It was pretty funny. 
After many, many days I finally finished block sanding all the removed body parts.  I do still have the small pieces that mount to each of the four corners, but those are very small.  The header panel, which houses the headlight buckets, actually took a lot longer than I anticipated.  With all the curves and small lips it was very difficult to get all the sanding lines out without sanding through the primer. 
It took quite a few attempts to get the trailer backed in because I didn't have the extended mirrors on the truck and it was impossible to see exactly where I was going.  First I had to move all the parts outside, pull the car in the barn and then put the parts in the trailer.

It was a close fit.  The car was in the trailer at an angle and was only about an inch or two from the support cable from the door on the trailer.

I had to cut a couple holes in the paper so I could see.  I definitely didn't want to run over the hood.

I know these doors don't look that big, but they are extremely difficult to move.  I had to pick them up from the door panel side to make sure I didn't scratch the primer and this made it impossible to lift with anything but the back.  After moving all of them I felt like I had been hit with a truck.

I recovered the holes I cut and now I just need to finish blocking the roof and quarters on the body and it will be ready to take to the paint shop.